Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Family Names

This week Justin has the camera on his trip to China, so we don't have any pictures to add yet - but I'm sure we'll post a lot when he comes home. But, I thought that I'd write a little bit about Rachel's favorite pastime of making up new names for herself and family members. Throughout each day, she makes up a variety of names for each of us, usually relating to the game she's playing or book she's reading. Some of her favorites are: Rachel tiger, Rachel princess, Mommy Fairy Godmother, Daddy Prince, Ian Parade, Mommy Workguy (a maintenance person came to our house to fix some things), Mommy Old Lady (I'm not sure where this came from, should I be offended?), and Rachel Kittycat. But the funniest one lately is last night she called me Mommy Poor Person and she dubbed herself Rachel Robin Hood. She then proceeded to pull pretend money out of her shirt to give to me (hopefully she got that from Robin Hood as well and hasn't seen anyone hiding funds down their shirt).

Other than Rachel's naming spree, we've just been waiting for Justin to come home on Thursday. I have thought that I've always appreciated what an amazing husband and dad he is, but I was clueless! You don't realize how much you rely on someone until you have to be by yourself. Needless to say, I can't wait for him to come home because not only does he help with everything, but he is just so important to everyone in our family. Rachel also misses him so much and has been calling me "Pretend Daddy" periodically. She also insists on setting his place at the table for dinner each night. Before Justin left, he gave each of us priesthood blessings. I am sure that without these blessings we would not have had as smooth of a week as we have had and I am so grateful for the priesthood and for a mindful Father in Heaven who has given us a way to receive comfort and strength. Rachel has been amazingly cooperative, Ian continues to be a very sweet baby, and I have been able to cope (not very gracefully) with being by myself for a week. This trip has just reaffirmed how lucky we are to have such a wonderful husband/father in our family. Stay tuned for fun China stories, one of which will involve Justin dancing in an Islamic restaurant with a snake around his neck...

No comments: