Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pioneer Week

This week has flown by with lots of activities, but the kids always seem to find time for ample amounts of silliness. Here they are making an "ocean" of pillows to swim in on Rachel's bed.

Whenever Ian does something that he thinks is funny, he always checks with us for the comic appeal, by saying, "that's funny?"

This week our ward had an activity every night (except Monday) to commemorate a virtual trek that we went on and to help us remember the sacrifices of the pioneers. One night there was a walk to the Logan Temple from our home and back. We modified it with some wheels and the kids had a blast going on a long bike ride with Dad (the break for Creamies didn't hurt either).
We also did a little hike up to the Green Canyon Quarry where they cut the rock for the Logan Temple. It is amazing to see the distance that the early Logan residents had to haul the stones to the temple site.
We, however, only had to haul ourselves down to a campfire to roast marshmallows. Rachel was very enthralled by the activity and Ian was very enthralled by the Boy Scouts and their bottle rockets in the field behind us.
We finished the week with a great Pioneer Day. We went to the North Logan parade and the kids got a TON of candy and then we went to a great party with our neighbors. This is our current Primary singing the Oxcart song. Hopefully more kids will move in soon because it's a pretty small group, but they did a great job.
Ian was delighted to have unlimited access to root beer and ice cream.
Everyone had fun with watermelon eating contests, ping pong, lawn games, and volleyball.
Even though Justin had quite the fall from mountain biking earlier in the day (he has huge scrapes up his arm and legs), he joined friends for volleyball.
We topped off the night with our own little fireworks with some friends.
The evening ended a little earlier than planned when the automatic sprinklers went off, but we had a ton of fun and we definitely enjoyed remembering the pioneers.

1 comment:

Tera said...

Wow! You have had a busy summer. I guess I need to check blogs more often. :) I feel like I've missed out on a ton.

The 24th stuff sounds like so much fun. I'm sorry I missed it.

I was hoping to see a picture of just you, Bridget. I want to see your enormous belly. I'll keep checking back in hopes of a side profile. :)